Our mission and dedication is to create intelligent systems that are able to autonomously operate in complex and diverse environment, with multiple perception approaches. We are fascinated by novel robot concepts that are best adapted for acting with large-scale and dynamic environments and different terrains. We are furthermore keen to give them the intelligence to autonomously navigate in challenging environments. This includes novel methods and tools for human-robot interaction, perception, cognition, knowledge abstraction, mapping, learning, representation, planning and execution.
The projects are all at present available for the following types: Master Thesis (MA), Bachelor Thesis (BA) and Semester Project (SA). The projects are supposed to be carried out at the Robotics and Multiperception Lab of ECE and CSE departments at Hong Kong University of Science and Technology. The facilities in the lab will provide premier environment for your research, experiments and technique supports. Please contact LIU Ming for details. Further projects in related directions (e.g. Machine Learning, Computer Vision, Navigation system, Mobile robotics, Multi Robot System, GPGPU computing…) can be set up JUST FOR YOU, up on request. If you are not in Hong Kong, grants to cover your return flight to Hong Kong and accommondation are forseeable.
Current Projects List
- ECE-01 Extensive study of Google Tango capability
- ECE-02 Internet-based Multiple Robots
- ECE-03 Deep-learning-based Robotic Exploration
- ECE-04 Robotic Control aided by Deep-Reinforcement Learning
- ECE-05 Data and service retrieval for Internet of Robots
- ECE-06 Visible light communication-based low-cost indoor precise localization
- ECE-07 Object recognition and manipulation by a dual-arm robotic platform
- ECE-08 Extrinsic calibration of cameras and laser range finders for outdoor SLAM
- ECE-09 Semi-autonomous mobile robot control by Leap gesture sensor
ECE-05 Data and service retrieval for Internet of Robots
Low-equipped network nodes will retrieval data and service from cloud resources, such as a big-data database of sensory data. The students need to deal with the hardware system setup, network connectivity and basic strategy for data/service retrieval
ECE-06 Visible light communication-based low-cost indoor precise localization
It is a low-cost solutions to indoor personal localization. We use LED lights as beacons to guide indoor localization and navigation. The students need to work with a prototype system and establish the next generation of VLC-based localization system.
ECE-07 Object recognition and manipulation by a dual-arm robotic platform
The students will work on Baxter robot and with MoveIT ROS library. Deep-learning libraries will be provided for learning of the control of the arm and object recognition. The students need to work on system integration as well as algorithm study.
ECE-08 Extrinsic calibration of cameras and laser range finders for outdoor SLAM
Extrinsic calibration between cameras and Lidar is essential for outdoor navigation tasks, such as autonomous driving. The students will work on this topic by using Velodyne 16-line laser range finder sensor and multiple cameras.
ECE-09 Semi-autonomous mobile robot control by Leap gesture sensor
Leap sensor is a low-cost gesture sensor. The students are required to design a semi-autonomous driving system by taking gesture inputs. During the movement of the robots, obstacle avoidance (and possible terrain adaptation, depending on how far the project can go) needs to be taken care of automatically. It will further aid the operation of wheel chair or cars.
Other available projects initialized at HKUST
The list of projects from my previous group are still available. They are mainly about mobile robots, SLAM, cloud robotics, etc. Please have a look.
- UST-01A Exploration, Mapping and Navigation using multi robot system
- UST-01B Joint Resource/Task allocation Framework for multi robot system
- UST-02 Topological visual navigation in a dynamic environment
- UST-03 Dynamic object detection using omnidirectional camera / Kinect sensor
- UST-04 Stereo vision / kinect -based mobile manipulator
- UST-05 Task allocation for multi robot system
- UST-06 Pointcloud-based semantic mapping using tensor voting frame
- UST-07 Pointcloud-based scene classification and topological mapping
- UST-08 Riemannian navigation for mobile robots
- UST-09 Large-scale localization using hand-held devices