Dr. Ming Liu
Ming Liu was born in Zibo, Shandong. He is an IEEE member since 2012. He received the BA degree in Automation at Tongji University in 2005. During his master study at Tongji University, he stayed one year in Erlangen-Nünberg University and Fraunhofer Institute IISB, Germany, as a master visiting scholar. He graduated as a PhD student from the Department of Mechanical and Process Engineering of ETH Zürich in 2013, supervised by Prof Roland Siegwart. He is now affiliated with ECE department, CSE department and Robotics Institute of Hong Kong University of Science and Technology.
He is a founding member of Shanghai SWing Automation Ltd. Co. He is also coordinating and involved in NSF projects, and National 863-Hi-Tech-Plan projects in China. As a team member, he won the second place of EMAV’09 (European Micro Aerial Vehicle Competition) and two awards from IARC’14 (International Aerial Robot Competition). He won the Best Student Paper Award as first author for MFI 2012 (IEEE International Conference on Multisensor Fusion and Information Integration), the Best Paper Award in Information for ICIA 2013 (IEEE International Conference on Information and Automation) as first author and Best Paper Award Finalists as co-author, the Best RoboCup Paper Award for IROS 2013 (IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems), the Best Conference Paper Award for IEEE-CYBER 2015, Best Student Paper Finalist for RCAR 2015 (IEEE International conference on Real-time Computing and Robotics), Best Student Paper Finalist for ROBIO 2015, Best Student Paper Award for IEEE-ICAR 2017 and Best Paper in Automation Award for IEEE-ICIA 2017. He won twice the innoviation contest Chunhui Cup Winning Award in 2012 and 2013. He won the Wu Weijun AI award in 2016. He was the Program Chair of IEEE-RCAR 2016; the Program Chair of International Robotics Conference in Foshan 2017; He is the Conference Chair of ICVS 2017.
Ming Liu’s research interests include dynamic environment modeling, deep-learning for robotics, 3D mapping, machine learning and visual control. He’s particularly interested in the investigation of novel, real-time online approaches in solving mobile robot mapping and navigation. In general, he can be stimulated by research in all robotic and intelligent system fields.
Mr. Qinghai Liao
Ph.D. student ( CV)
B.E. at Huazhong University of Science and Technology (HUST) 2015, Majoring in Mechanical Design Manufacture and Automation
Research interests include Mobile Robot, SLAM and Multi-Sensors Calibration.
Mr. Lei Tai
Ph.D. candidate student ( CV)
Lei Tai received both his Bachelor’s Degree of Engineering in 2012 and his Master’s Degree of Engineering in 2014 from Material Science and Engineering Department of Harbin Institute of Technology (HIT). During his study in HIT, he won the Best Technology Award in ABU Robocon Contest as the team leader of HIT Robotics team.
Lei Tai’s research interests include Deep Reinforcement Learning, Computer Vision and Mobile Robot.
Mr. Haoyang Ye
Haoyang Ye received his Bachelor’s Degree of Engineering at Zhejiang University in 2016, majoring in Automation.
During his undergraduate study in Zhejiang University, he won the Meritorious Prize in Mathematical Contest In Modeling as the team leader and outstanding graduates of Zhejiang University.
Haoyang’s research interests include Sensor Fusion, Autonomous Car and Deep Learning.
Mr. Qing Liang
Ph.D. candidate student
Qing Liang was born in Rizhao, Shandong. He received his Bachelor’s Degree of Engineering in Automation from Xi’an Jiaotong University in 2013 and his Master’s Degree in Instrument Science&Technology from Beihang University in 2016.
Qing’s research interests include SLAM and low-cost indoor localization.
Ms. Ting Sun
Ph.D. candidate student
B.E. at Beijing Institute of Technology in 2012, majoring in Telecommunication
MSc at Hong Kong University of Science and Technology majoring in Telecommunication
Her research interests include digital image processing, machine learning and robotics.
Mr. Bhutta, Muhammad Usman Maqbool
Ph.D. candidate student
PhD Student at Department of Electronic and Computer Engineering (ECE) at Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST). He got SSMS PhD scholarship by Punjab Education Endoment Fund (PEEF) for this program. Bhutta, Muhammad Usman studied M.Phil and M.Sc. from Department of Electronics, Quaid-i-Azam University, Islamabad Pakistan (HEC ranked # 1 University in Pakistan) with 2nd position in my batch. Bhutta has been awarded with scholarship (position based) three times during his M.Sc.
Received his B.Sc. degree in Mathematics and Physics from Bahauddin Zakariya University Multan Pakistan.
He has 4 years + experiences in Research and Development of EE and IT Projects and teaching BS and M.Sc. Courses of Computer Science and Physics.
Research Interest: Intelligent and Robust Multi-Robotics Applications, Networked Robots
Ph.D. candidate student
B.E. at Zhejiang University in 2015, majoring in Information Engineering
Research interests:localization, navigation and SLAM
Mr. Weihua Zhou
Weihua Zhou received his Bachelor’s Degree of Engineering in Electrical Engineering and its Automation in 2014 from the Northwestern Polytechnical University (NPU) with Outstanding Undergraduate Graduation Thesis Award, before which he studied in the Honors College which was established for the Talent Students from 2010 to 2013. Currently, he is pursuing his Master’s Degree at NPU and expected to graduate in March 2017. Besides, from November 2015 to May 2016, he worked as a research assistant at the T stone robotics institute of the Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK) and helped CUHK won the Champion, Best Engineering Award and Best Team Spirit Award in the ABU Robocon Competition. Now, he is a research assistant in RAM-LAB.
Mr. Zhengyong Chen
Zhengyong Chen is a senior student majoring in Communication Engineering of Southwest University for Nationalities.
Zhengyong’s research interests include Neural Network, Machine Learning and Computer Vision.
Mr. Jianhao Jiao
PhD Student ( CV)
Jianhao Jiao will receive his Bachelor’s degree in Measurement Control and Instrument Science at Zhejiang University in 2017.
Jianhao’s research interests include SLAM, Deep Learning and Swarm Intelligence.
Mr. Peng Yun
PhD Student ( CV)
Peng will receive his Bachelor’s degree from Huazhong University of Science and Technology.
Research Interests: Machine Learning & Image Processing
Mr. Yang Yu
Yang received his Bachelor’s Degree in 2012 from Donghua University and Master’s Degree in 2014 from Illinois Institute of Technology (IIT) both in Electrical Engineering.
He has 2 years working experience in Front End Web developing.
Research Interests: Robotics, machine learning and computer vision
Alumni and Visitors
- Ke Yu, Tsinghua University, Beijing, Mobile Robot,2013
- Shiwei Li, Tsinghua University, Beijing, Mobile Robot, 2013
- Zhonglei Wang, Zhejiang University, SLAM, 2013, admitted by Brown University in 2015
- Vincent Sitzmann, Technical University of Munich, SLAM, 2013, admitted by Stanford University in 2015
- Zhiyang Yu, Beijing Institute of Tech, ETH Zurich, Scene Recognition, 2014.3~2014.8, admitted by ETH Zurich in 2014
- Yue Wang, Tongji University, Shanghai, Deep-learning for scene recognition, 2014.2~2014.8
- Sant Kumar, IIT, Bombay, Visual Odometey, 2013.4~2014.7, admitted by ETH Zurich in 2015
- Isaac Deutsch, Multi-robot SLAM, 2014.1~2014.7, admitted by Master program of ETH Zurich in 2014, Bachelor Thesis
- Daniel Schneider, ETH Zurich, Zurich, Multi-robot Visual SLAM, 2015.3~2015.7, Master Thesis
- Alankar Kushagra, ETH Zurich, Zurich, Visual Topological SLAM by Signages, 2014
- Tzi Yang Shao, HKUST, Topological Visual Navigation, 2014~2015
- Jehri Wong, HKUST, Visual Odometry and Navigation, 2014~2015
- Fangyi Zhang, 3D sensing and VLC-based localization, 2013~2015, admitted by Queensland University of Technology, with Prof. Peter Corke
- Zonghao Huang, HKUST, Machine Learning, 2014~2015
- Adrian Yuen, HKUST, Mobile Table-Tennis Robot and Badminton Robot, 2014~2015, Founder of CustomFPX
- Guoyang Xie, HKUST, Deep-learning for automotive, 2013~2015, MPhi, now at Baidu Institute of Deep-Learning, supervised by Andrew Ng.
- Kejie Qiu, HKUST, VLC-based localization and navigation, 2013~2015, MPhi
- Shaohua Li, HKUST, Deep-learning, 2013~2015, MPhi
- Qionghui Tan, City University of Hong Kong, Wheel-chair Control, 2016, MSc
- Jonas Eichenberger, ETH Zurich, visual navigation for dynamic large environments using an omnidirectional camera, 2016, Master Thesis
- Jinhong Ruby Sun was research assistant in IoT and visual detection, 2016
- Lionel Trébuchon, ETH Zurich, research assistant in Omni-SLAM and Line Feature Detection, 2016
- Giuseppe Paolo, ETH Zurich, research assistant on Deep Reinforcement Learning for robot controls and Computer Vision, 2017